Who is Michaels Energy?
Michaels Energy is a veteran-owned energy consulting firm that exists to help businesses minimize waste and maximize value. Our energy and engineering gurus are obsessed with optimizing buildings and processes to maximize energy savings and profits, minimize utility grid stress and carbon footprints, and keep this big, beautiful planet in tip-top shape. Our passion is developing long-term client relationships with energy users, utilities, consultants, and partners. This passion combined with our core values of proactive and responsive service, intuitive analysis, collaborative partnerships, and fanatical execution, forms the foundation of our corporate culture.
What is the role?
Michaels Energy seeks an accountant to contribute to company operations and growth by supporting the accounting function. The accountant’s responsibilities include payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, taxes, and billing. The accountant will assist the director of finance with the preparation of financial reports and support other managers with financial tools and information. We are looking for someone who is detail-orientated, will live our company values, and thrive in a team environment.
- Prepare and analyze financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to standards
- Assist with preparing monthly internal financials for management
- Report project financials to department managers
- Maintain accurate financial data in Ajera
- File taxes to government agencies and register at local government agencies
- Maintain/record journal entries
- Establish and maintain chart of accounts and assign entries to proper accounts
- Set-up new vendors, enter vendor invoices into system
- Run checks/Initiate ACH’s and monitor vendor payments
- Record cash receipts in bank register
- Make collections and supply Accounts Receivable reports to management
- Ensure legitimate usage of company credit cards
- Coordinate with product managers regarding client invoice review and edits
- Prepare/compile supplemental invoice reports for client-specific requirements
- Generate client invoices per client’s requirements and company billing schedule, and on the date required
- Review terms & conditions and invoicing requirements for proposals and new client contracts
- Review project setup in Ajera to ensure accurate billing rates and invoice format are applied, and billing requirements are entered.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll according to accurate time records and make necessary adjustments when needed
- Communicate with the bank regarding payroll-related issues and company banking needs
- Perform monthly Bank and Credit Card Reconciliations
- Coordinates monthly office lease rental payments
How do you contribute?
After 3 months, you will have….
- Learn Michaels’ internal processes and business practices
- Gain knowledge of accounting software basics
- Reconcile monthly bank and credit card statements
- Manage vendor payments and client receipts
After 6 months, you will have….
- Prepare and analyze monthly internal financial statements
- Lead the billing process
- Independently prepare payroll and file quarterly taxes
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a related field
- Two years of experience in accounting
- Experience working with Accounting Software
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- 0% - 5% travel is required
- Five years of experience
- Experience working in a consulting business
- Experience in project accounting
Where can you work?
- La Crosse, WI
- Hybrid in the La Crosse area
Why work for Michaels Energy?
The top reasons Michaels Energy is an awesome place to work, besides helping the world save energy.
- We Never Stop Learning
- Flexible Work Hours
- Career Development
- Beer Fridays
- Fresh Fruit Daily
- Wellness Rewards
- Fun Company Outings
Michaels Energy Diversity Statement
We strive to build and nurture a culture that is inclusive and welcoming for all employees. We know diversity and inclusion are essential to innovation, a strong work environment and exceptional results. This fits in well with our culture that celebrates the unique, the different, and the individual. For us, this is who are and what we do, not just words in a policy.